If you smell gas
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
4. REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor's home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call Federated Co-ops right away at 1-800-671-9759. If you can't reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your propane retailer, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
6. GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
Propane Safety Book
Safety Tips from the Minnesota Propane Association
Winter Propane Safety Reminders
Expecting a delivery? Help us deliver your propane quickly and safely by:
- Marking the location of your tank firmly with a highly visible flag, pole or stake and ensure it can be seen over snow cover.
- Ensuring that your driveway and the path to your tank is clear.
- Keeping your propane tank clear of snow to prevent issues with vaporization and keep your furnace exhaust valve free of snow to prevent carbon monoxide.
- Ensuring the area is free of vehicles and debris, gates are unlocked, and pets are secure.